Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hub City Carnivale Experience

A guest blog by Marketing & PR Intern Alex Smith

Presidents Day was Family Day here at the State Theatre, and part of our 4th Annual Hub City Carnivale. This season was my first as an intern with the theater, but it won’t be soon forgotten.

I never thought I’d have the chance to wear Gucci in my life, let alone as an intern (that's me on the left)! Thanks to the "Flash Fashion" contest at the East Brunswick Library, teens from our area made that possible. The dress I’m wearing is made from recycled materials, including accessories like the tin foil necklace. Pictures of me modeling the outfits were for the Recycling Arts Exhibit, held in the theater lobby before the ScrapArtsMusic performance on Feb. 5. Also part of this exhibit was a mobile made from old CDs and DVDs, made by Rutgers University students (below right).

On Family Day here at the State Theatre, (Presidents Day), the excitement buzzed as we busily got ready for hundreds of families to come take part in over 29 events. I was helping out with the face painting table, which was a popular activity. The most often requested designs were Spiderman and Hello Kitty, but I painted everything from colorful rainbows and butterflies to creepy spiders. It was great to see how much fun the kids were having. One brave mom even asked me to paint a heart on her cheek!

Overall, my Hub City Carnivale experience as an intern was a positive one. Is work always going to be this much fun?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.