Friday, April 9, 2010

"It's My Party" at the Theatre

A guest blog by Marketing & PR Intern Alex Smith

Young girls across America belted out the words “it’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to” at some point in their lives. Whether it was with girlfriends, or alone singing into their hairbrushes, something about the song sympathizes with the angst of young love. In my experience, “It’s My Party” played a large part during my 16th birthday party. After all, “Johnny” leaving hand-in-hand with “Judy” is devastating at that age. Lesley Gore recorded “It’s My Party” in 1963, but every girl to sing it since continues to prove that the song is timeless.

“It’s My Party” was nominated for a Grammy Award for rock and roll recording. It sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc. Other Lesley Gore hits include “Judy’s Turn to Cry” (the sequel to “It’s My Party”), “You Don’t Own Me,” “She’s A Fool,” and “Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows.” These and other singles made it to the top of the charts in the mid 1960s.

Besides chart-topping hits, what does Lesley Gore have in common with Michael Jackson? Well, no, there is no punch line. The answer is a fact: Quincy Jones. That’s right, one of the most famous producers in American music. Thriller may be the source of much of his fame now, but Quincy Jones worked with Lesley Gore first. He helped discover the 16-year old and produced “It’s My Party.”

On Saturday, May 1, those who used to sing the relatable song in their bedroom mirrors will have the chance to sing along once more, this time with Lesley Gore when she performs as part of Richard Nader’s Sold Gold Rock and Roll Show.

No comments: